Tuesday 26 October 2010

Miscellany

Short notes on a few wines which were, very fortuitously, opened and available in Noel Young Wines when I was there to pick up some wines for a tasting. These wines were opened for a whole day on Saturday and wine-saved. I tasted these Monday lunchtime, went through 8 wines but I'm only putting up very brief notes and impressions of the ones I particularly like / was memorable - dont have time or inclination to write out full notes for all the wines.

Bodegas Baigorri Rioja Reserva 05
£21.95. A-.

Lots of spice, smoke on the nose, almost salty; meaty, like cured meats, bacon, I can just imagine this going so well with jamon iberico or something of that nature. Palate was dense, dark fruits, full and generous, definitely a cut above your basic Rioja Reserva. I can see why this stable did well in Decanter and IWC.

Plantagenet 'Omrah' Pinot Noir 09
£10.99. A-.

Nice red fruits, raspberryish, that kind of thing; appealingly soft and flowing. Well balanced, with acidity in check; not fully extracted. So easy to drink.

No comments: